Sweet Potato ‘Felafels’ with Slaw, Greens and Pita Pockets
2 sweet potatoes, roasted in cumin, salt, pepper and 1 or 2 garlic cloves
1 grated zucchini
1 can chick peas
Salt and pepper to taste
A handful of chia seeds for extra goodness
Mix and mash these ingredients together, place in the fridge to cool if needed. Roll into balls, roll in sesame seeds. Place on a tray in the oven for 25 minutes at 180 degrees. Alternatively cook in a frypan.
¼ cabbage finely shredded
¼ purple cabbage shredded
3 shallots sliced
handful of coriander or mint, or both
4 spoons of natural or greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together, add more yogurt if needed.
Heat pita pockets, make a simple salad of mixed green leaves dressed with lemon and olive oil. Mashed avocado and slices of tomato would also add to this dish. Allow everyone to help themselves.
Veggie and Soba Noodle Salad
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Cut pumpkin and eggplant (optional) into cubes, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper and bake in oven for up to 40 mins.
2. Prepare kale.
3. Cook soba noodles per packet instructions. Once cooked rinse in cold water.
4. Slice shallots, shell peas, add any other veggies you wish to use to the bowl.
Juice of one lemon, ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), clove garlic crushed, tamari to taste (optional)
Combine and enjoy!
Roast Tomato Spaghetti
2. Add a few spoons of kalamata olives, a generous drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.
3. Mix and place in oven at 180 degrees for 1 hour. Check and stir once or twice. It may need longer than an hour or you may want to turn up the heat.
4. Once ready, add to cooked spaghetti (try wholemeal) with some chopped greens (spinach, rocket) and a couple of spoons of capers. Add more olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. I’ve added chilli flakes to mine. Enjoy!!
Mexican Mix Up
This recipe is all about ease and cleaning out the fridge! So use any vegies you have on hand.
1 diced onion
1 diced carrot
10 quartered mushrooms
3 diced tomatoes
1 can of red kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes (no added sugar)
handful of spinach
1tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1. Heat oil in pan and add onions, carrots and spices.
2. Once onions seem transparent add all other ingredients, add spinach 5 mins before serving.
3. Allow to simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally. Cook the rice (use brown rice). Mix avocado with lemon to serve. Enjoy!
Turmeric Cauli Fried Rice
1 purple onion diced
1 clove garlic crushed
1 stick of fresh turmeric grated
Stir fry in 2 tbsp coconut oil until aromatic then add the following.
1 or half a head of cauliflower in the food processor until it has the appearance of breadcrumbs
1 carrot grated
1-2 zucchini diced
1 capsicum diced
1-2 fresh corn cob kernels
2 stalks of kale thinly sliced
Add all to the wok or pan and stir fry until onion is translucent. Enjoy as a side dish or as a main meal.