How amazing are strawberries? Not only are they delicious, they are also a superfood. Yes, the humble strawberry has amazing super powers to benefit your health! Strawberries are rich in nutrients and antioxidants including vitamin C, therefore boosting immunity. They promote eye health, keep wrinkles at bay, reduce inflammation, help to regulate blood pressure and also promote pre-natal health.
When I saw my friend and fellow IIN graduate, Kylie’s Instagram feed with this amazing creation, I knew I needed the recipe and I had to share it with you all. I’m so excited that she agreed!
It is an honour to be asked to contribute, a guest post to Lisa’s beautiful blog here.
I’m Kylie Ann Casey, like Lisa I graduated from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition and now specialise in Plant-based Wellness and Early Childhood Nutrition. I have worked with young children for the last 12 years and have realised that at some stage, all parents and care givers struggle to get their children to eat healthy food. I’ve seen these struggles and some very unhealthy lunch boxes! I have created a blog www.growingtastebuds.net where I will be sharing simple, affordable and healthy recipes that children will love.
The easiest way I have noticed to get any child (or fussy Husband) to eat healthy and nutritious food is in the form of dessert! So with this in mind, I created this delicious and healthy, Strawberry Ice Cream Cake.
1 can coconut cream
1 cup strawberries
¼ cup raspberries
½ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Extra strawberries and Raspberries to decorate!
1. Place all base ingredients in a food processer and pulse till all combined 1-2 minutes depending on how powerful your food processor is.
2. When base is ready and combined, place in a medium sized cake tin and firmly mold the base evenly across the bottom
3. Put the base in the freezer to start setting while you make the filling
4. Put all filling ingredients in your blender or food processer and blend till combined, again this is usually 1-2 minutes
5. Pour filling over the base and place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes
6. When cake has set decorate with strawberries on top
Handy Hints: Cake tastes best when not frozen completely, think soft serve consistency. If freezing for a future time let the cake defrost in your fridge for 1 hour before serving.